Saturday 28 May 2011

Yacht rock, remixing some filth and the death of a legend.

Just a quick weekend update of the DHC world.

The Seahawks Logo
On Friday I found myself at the Cornish basecamp of Lo Recordings working with Jon Tye and his go-to chord monster Alik PD on some pretty far out stuff for their Seahawks project. It's been put into the rather interesting catagory of 'yacht rock' for it's chilled summery vibes which I rather like and it's certainly different to the norm with it's mix of lo-fi delays and reverbs and left field approach to vocals and instrumentation.

This all resulted in a rather tasty recording session, routing my beloved soprano sax, (weapon of choice for many previous recordings with the Lo crew,) through a harmoniser unit controlled by Alik on guitar. We got some pretty good sounds out of it, from a straight up sax with an intelligent chorus behind to some weird breath controlled guitar chords using the sax to trigger them. I'll keep details vague for now as we work some more with it, here's hoping to see that setup used live in the coming months!

On a more personal note, I'm sallying forth on another of my dubstep remixes, this time in response to a challenge from Hoo Ha over at Hoo Ha Fashions who digs the tune Papa's Got a Brand New Pigbag. It's one of those tracks that makes the sax famous and there's plenty of scope for getting grimy so bear with me and check it out when I post it!

Finally, as you all probably know by now Gil Scott Heron has passed on to the great gig in the sky. As an instigator of rap in the jazz/funk genre he's greatly influenced much of the music I've grown to love, big love. He will be missed.

Dan.

1 comment: